Irreplaceable Language

That sheet stuff/'s a lot a cheese

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Sep. 8

Modernism:
We focused mainly on Canto XX from Pound's Draft of XXX Cantos.

Sound slender, quasi tinnula,
Ligur' aoide:
-- Pound, Canto XX

We talked about what a poem does which, as Pound's does, combines different languages, different language systems (i.e. languages with different alphabets), and even non-alphabetic languages (Chinese ideograms & hieroglyphs). I'm not sure what to think of all this yet, but in some sense it allows English to bleed into the other language, and influence how you (try to) read them. It also makes you cling to the English that you do get (only about half of each of Pound's cantos are in English).Also, by writing in different languages he seems to assert that what he wants to say can only be said in that language (i.e. sound, look, feel, influence the meaning of words [Wittgenstein]).

And the light falls, remir,
from her breast to thighs.
-- Pound, Canto XX

Shakespeare:
We spent out last day on Timon of Athens. There is some phenomenal banter in 4.3, which I really enjoyed. Here's a brief excerpt:
Apemantus: Here, I will mend they feast.
Timon: First mend my company: take away thyself.

Intro to Feminist Theory:
I am simply loving this class. I feel that I learn a lot and what I learn is really important to me personally. Today we talked about Marxist theory and the extent to which "false consciousness" works in our society. Should we believe Marx when he says, in essence, that we are being duped by the system [capitalism] in every aspect of our lives? Or is there some way in which we can acknowledge that sometimes are "free choices" are actually not free at all, and that at other times we do indeed act as agents?

Political Feminist Theory:
This class was cancelled today. Hooray!!! This is why I'm not writing much; I want to rush home. If any one wants to chat more about Marxism, since I barely brushed over it without explaining much of anything, I'd be more than happy to.

Tonight the plan is to have dinner with my old roomie Alicia whom I haven't seen for ages and is getting married soon. Yeah!!!! This should be great times. On Wednesday I had my first chiropractic appointment ever. Diagnosis: carpal syndrome. I have to keep my left hand moving as much as possible and bandage it up at night to make sure it's straight. Hopefully the numbness will be gone soon. It is getting to be a bit of a nuisance. I have another appointment tomorrow morning where he'll probably work my wrist and do another ultrasound treatment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your wrist. I hope it gets better soon.

As my professor said, "You're not taking one of those Marxist crap classes are you?"

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home