June 16 - An Eventful Day
Woke up this morning to the 111th birthday of Neighborhood House. We spent the day creating posters, decorating cars, walking, eating ice cream, drinking chocolate milk, and partying. I left early to go see The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill. At the party I hung out with Suzie and Damara. Great girls, although Damara was having particapatory problems today. Susie was so sweet. She asked in her sweetly sincere voice, "Do you have a boyfriend? Are you married?" I answered the negative in both cases. She then, completely sincerely asked, "Are you lonely?" Again, I answered in the negative and contemplated explaining to her that women don't need men, not having a man doesn't mean a woman is lonely, etc. I refrained, and decided to let her live in a world untroubled by these issues for a little longer. The movie was interesting, but the cheesy stills, melodramatic music and several aspects of romantic comedy (the end of the film was the declaration of love between the filmmaker and subject), made it one that I wouldn't recommend. But the parrots were beautiful and it made me miss Quee Queg. Then it was off to a Brazilian music jam session where I finally met the much-talked-of-afraid-he-offended-me-a-year-ago Steve Huff. The house was expertly painted with my favorite wall being a deep periwinkle. The band took a break and so I checked my phone. Rob had called. I think there are few people more sincere, and just genuinely nice and caring than Rob. At 11:30 I made the decision not to go to Janelle's house for a small get together. I walked in realizing I hadn't gone to the bathroom at all today, even though I drank my usual amount of water (64 oz.). You know it's been a busy day when you just plum forget to pee!
X-posted to live journal.

3 Comments:
"just plum forgot to pee" huh? Now that's funny.
I have to say for all you listeners out there concerned about the parrot movie. I'd say it was the best I've seen this year. I loved it! The cheesy stills, and melodramatic music caracatured the subjects in a quirky, fun sorta way. It helped the movie breathe, and I thought it was funny. But Squirt says I'm not reliable when it comes to judging "funny" cuz I laugh at everything. There's some truth in that. I'm also going to dispute a little on the "woman doesn't need a man" issue. True, a woman doesn't need a man any more than a man needs a woman. But I do think we need eachother. On a third and final note, I'm glad to see evidence of your affection and care for Quee Queg growning ;) You think she's getting softer in her old age? She doesn't show signs of hating me the way she used to.
I don't know. It's a tough call.
Daniel,
I don't know if you'll be reading this response, but here it is anyway in case you stumble across my blog again:
(This may also be pertinent for others.)
"to say it is possible to live happily without romantic love, of some sort, seems to be denial."
Just to clarify, when I said that "a woman doesn't need a man" I did not mean that to say that a human does not need romanitc love. (Although I would stand behind the statement that happiness and celibacy CAN go hand in hand.) Do I believe that a woman must be in a romatic relationship with a man to feel happy and fulfilled? Absolutely not. Do I feel that a man must be in a romantic relationship with a woman to feel happy and fulfilled? No. Do I believe that one can gain happiness via romantic relationships? Yes.
I am a little more radical than emily jane. When she wrote, "But I do think we need eachother" she was talking about men and women, i.e. women need men, and men need women. But I would like to take that sentence and say, "Yes, we do need eachother," but with a slightly different slant. Men don't need women and women don't need men. Humans need humans. The end.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home