Politics of the Bookstore
I went to Borders today to buy another Toni Morrison book (I have just finished Beloved and Sula). I kept looking for her in the "Literature" section to no avail. "I know they sell her books," I thought to myself, "I've seen a couple of them scattered on random tables in the store, she's won the Pulitzer Prize, all of her novels have been bestsellers, her books are in Oprah's Book Club, and tons of people read her....." Finally I asked a bookseller, "This is a stupid question, but where are you Toni Morrison books?" "Right here," she replied walking me over to the very end of the Literature section, "She's in the African American section."
WOW!!! An African American literature section? Sure, there is an "African American Studies" section upstairs, but this takes it way too far. I couldn't, and can't believe it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home