Bear Lake Trip
Well, I am back from three days and two nights of camping with 23 children. We actually had a lot of fun. We got up there the first night just in time to set up camp and make taco salads. After cleaning up we headed down to get some of Garden City's famous raspberry shakes. It was pouring rain, but we went anyway and waited in outisde for our shakes. Jen and Kelsey stayed back since Kelsey was hysterically crying with a headache. I came back to a flooded tent. Luckily, only my pillow got soaked. Since Jen stayed back, she was able to save the rest of our stuff. This meant that I would go without a pillow, but it was fine. I haven't slept much the past three weeks, what's a few more days?
Then, Jordan, one of our strapping young boys, said the funniest thing. First, let me tell you a bit about Jordan. Even if he is not, he quite often acts like a stereotypical homosexual. He is a clean fanatic, loves to have his hair done, worries about his clothes, etc. Jordan and his twin brother Taylor had brought a rather large tent and since only 5 boys were sleeping in it at the time, we began to discuss the possibility of Jen and I sleeping with them. While we were asking the boys if this would be okay, Jordan through his hands up next to his face, and in a voice made for six year old girls said happily, "Sleepover!" It was hysterical and he had perfect timing. Impecible work on his part. I laughed and laughed.
Then we took the kids snipe hunting. [Writer cackles evilly to herself.] We told them they had to get low in the bushes and have toothpaste on their noses in order to catch them. Man did they fall for. Needless to say, we took several pictures of toothpaste smeared campers wearing clothes dirtier than Freud's mind. It was one for the books.
The next day was full of wave running, swimming, ash cakes, smores, tin foil dinners, scary stories, and ghost in the graveyard. Everything stereotypical campers do, except drink booze. In the morning we ate cereal and packed our stuff. We fooled the children one more time that we were going to break the tradition of going out to eat at a restaurant on the way home from Bear Lake. I had done such a good job of convincing them, that even when we pulled up next to the Chuck-A-Rama, which was located by the Toys 'R Us, the kids yelled, "Why are we going to Toys 'R Us?" I was proud of myself. When they finally realized where we were going Faustino said to the teachers, "You guys are brutal, just brutal." Another one for the books.
Perhaps when we get some pictures back I'll post them on the blog so you can see what these kids are like. They're so great (for the most part) and I couldn't ask for a better summer job. Well, I could....but you get the drift.

1 Comments:
You have a great job!=) . . . and I bet you're really good at it . . . and "dirtier than Freud's mind" was brilliant.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home