Philosophical Investigations 50-75
So, this might be pointless, but I think it will most likely be helpful. I'm going to retype here what I have underlined (swiggly) in these sections, just to give myself a broad sample of what I have been reading:
51. In order to see more clearly, here as in countless similar cases, we must focus on the details of what goes on; must look at them from close to.
56. bear in mind
57. The meaning of the word 'red' is independent of the existence of a red thing.....When we forget which colour this is the name of, it loses its meaning for us; that is, we are no longer able to play a particular language-game with it.
58. This is something I underlined, but I did circle this section and put a question mark out to the side. I'll give it some more thought, and if I don't get a good grip on it, ask Craig about it. I wrote off to the side, "existence via meaning?" What I meant was that in this section it seems that Wittgenstein is asserting that something exists only when it is given a meaning. (More current philosophers and literary theorists have argued this, but whether this is exactly what Wittgenstein is saying here, I have yet to ascertain.)
60. Imagine a language-game (I underlined this for a very particular reason. Pataphysics is about "imaginary science," and Wittgenstein seems to be all about "imaginary language." If one can think of a language that would function in a certain way, what one learns from that is legitimate, applicable, viable. The way to understanding "real language" is by conducting experiments with an "imaginary language." He uses phrases like this throughout the investigations, but I thought it was important to highlight.)
64. Let us imagine.....It is just another language game
65. And this is true.--Instead of producing something common to all that we call language, I am saying that these phenomena have no one thing in common which makes us use the same word for all, --but that they are related to one another in many different ways. And it is because of this relationship, or these relationships, that we call them all "language". I will try to explain this.
66. don't think, but look!
69. To repeat, we can draw a boundary--for a special purpose.
73. To have understood the definition means to have in one's mind an idea of the thing defined
**Bolded words are ones I emphasized. Italicized are Wittgenstein's emphasis.
In this section he went more into detail about language-games. I'm not sure yet how much this correlates to Derrida's notion of play, but I do believe there is a relation. I'm having a brain barricade right now, but I'm going to try to get through at least 100 tonight, and I'll try to post something of the way of a synthesis later.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home