A Child's Perspective
I posted this on my class blog, so why not here? Recently, I've been studying pedophilia, the notion of a sexual child, and the effects a pedophilic or incestuous relationship has on a child, so this was of especial interest. Others might find it interesting too though:
So I had quite the lucky and bit surreal experience while riding Trax home today. Two small girls (10 or 11) got on the train and started talking. They had gone to that dreaded maturation meeting today. This may come off as a little creepy, but it was so interesting to hear them talking. It was sort of a shock back into reality for me at just how naive the child is. I don't ever remember being that naive. Their discussion went something like this:
1. I can't believe we had to go to that what do you call it?
2. Maturation.
1. Yeah, maturation thing today. And Mrs. X said if we didn't watch the video she'd make us watch more.
2. Yeah, I hate her.
1. I was like this the whole time. (Covering one eye with her hand.)
2. I feel so sorry for Alejandra, I think she started.
1. Started what?
2. Didn't you listen at maturation at all?
1. Yeah. (Still looks a bit confused)
2. Well she.. (whispers into her ear.)
1. Well how could you tell? By the way she walked?
2. No! (again whispers into her ear.)
1. But she was doing cartwheels today..
2. They said you can still do, you know, active stuff.
1. I would never wear white pants! It will show you know. If you wear white pants, it will show.
2. Yeah, this girl today was wearing a skirt. Doesn't she know? You shouldn't wear skirts. I'm not going to maturation again. I'm gonna tell my mom I don't want to go.
1. Yeah, me too.
2. Well, actually my dad. He's the one who said I had to go.
That all straight from their conversation, though there were a few more points at which 2 whispered in 1s ear. What a rare experience to hear children dealing with this in the midst of their childhood. Sure, you can hear anyone talk about it retrospectively, but I thought it was so interesting to hear them talk about their own 'loss of innocence'. Also made me seriously rethink Lolita (the character) who was merely twelve. Maybe I had put too much responsibility upon her in my reading.
1. I can't believe we had to go to that what do you call it?
2. Maturation.
1. Yeah, maturation thing today. And Mrs. X said if we didn't watch the video she'd make us watch more.
2. Yeah, I hate her.
1. I was like this the whole time. (Covering one eye with her hand.)
2. I feel so sorry for Alejandra, I think she started.
1. Started what?
2. Didn't you listen at maturation at all?
1. Yeah. (Still looks a bit confused)
2. Well she.. (whispers into her ear.)
1. Well how could you tell? By the way she walked?
2. No! (again whispers into her ear.)
1. But she was doing cartwheels today..
2. They said you can still do, you know, active stuff.
1. I would never wear white pants! It will show you know. If you wear white pants, it will show.
2. Yeah, this girl today was wearing a skirt. Doesn't she know? You shouldn't wear skirts. I'm not going to maturation again. I'm gonna tell my mom I don't want to go.
1. Yeah, me too.
2. Well, actually my dad. He's the one who said I had to go.
That all straight from their conversation, though there were a few more points at which 2 whispered in 1s ear. What a rare experience to hear children dealing with this in the midst of their childhood. Sure, you can hear anyone talk about it retrospectively, but I thought it was so interesting to hear them talk about their own 'loss of innocence'. Also made me seriously rethink Lolita (the character) who was merely twelve. Maybe I had put too much responsibility upon her in my reading.

3 Comments:
Yep. Do you remember being that naive? I do. I think it's funny how they call it "maturation." Girls get the idea that it has something to do with "maturity." I never went to the meeting, didn't wanna. I remember going to the doctor's office in my early teen years. Mom was filling out the history survey and asked me if I'd "started." Well, obviously "yes!" How old did she think I was? She proceeded to check the box for no and she was right. Ha!=)
I actually never remember being that naive. That's why I thought it was so shocking.
I still feel that naive somedays.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home